Is your New Jersey driving license expired? Is your NJ license suspended? If yes, then you are land in the right place. This article will tell you about the reasons for the license suspension and how to restore NJ license. Keep reading!!
NJ License Restoration: First of all, it is essential to know your license is expired or suspended by the NJ Municipal court. Because there is a different process to deal with these situations, if your license has expired, you have to deal with the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (NJ MVC) to renew it. But in case of license suspension, you have to deal with NJMC (New Jersey Municipal Court) to restore the suspended license.
It is essential to know the right contact information of New Jersey’s Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) & New Jersey Municipal court and the restoration procedure to know about the expiration and suspension of your driving license.
Reasons for suspension of Driving License
There are many reasons for the driving license suspension in New Jersey. New Jersey has a point system for traffic tickets. If you don’t follow NJ’s traffic rules, after 12 or more points on your current driving record, your license will be suspended by NJMC. And it also can be suspended for certain criminal convictions or using fake details.
The following are some reasons for the suspension of Driving License:
- Uncontrollable driving
- A conviction for drug or alcohol use while driving (DUI)
- Driving without insurance
- Failing to turn up in court to pay fines
- Plunge into an internecine motor vehicle collision
- Failure to pay surcharges
- Failure to provide proof of insurance
- Fault in a fatal accident
- Overpassing any car on highways
- More than 12 points on the driving record
- You are speeding more significant than 20 mph over the limit. So after too many speeding tickets or traffic violations, your license can be revoked.
- Reckless driving charges
- A lapse in car insurance coverage
What are the restoration charges of the New Jersey Driving License?
You have to pay 100$ as a restoration fee for NJ driving license. But before this, you need to pay all the fines and charges which are due, such as surcharges, NJMC traffic tickets, and any other penalties. You can pay restoration fee online or offline as well.
What are the amounts of fines if you are driving with a suspended license?
If traffic police caught you while driving with the suspended license, you would be charged a hefty fine. “According to the NJSA 39:3-40 section, you will be charged under “driving while suspended” protocol. Under this section, you will have to pay a massive fine of $500, $750 in DMV surcharges, and another six months of suspension. All these rules should be imposed on first-time perpetrators.”
And if you do this again, then ready to pay more charges. In that case, you will be fined $750 abreast of the $750 DMV charge. They will increase your driving license suspension period for six months and up to 5 years of jail.
Steps to restore suspended NJ driving license
If you don’t know the reason for your license suspension or cancelation. So, first of all, you need to know the reason. You can contact NJ MVC (New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission). The following are the details of contact NJMVC:
NJMVC phone number:
(609) 292-6500 [Paid line]
1-888-486-3339 [toll-free number]
You can know why your license is suspended by calling on these numbers. Also, you can ask them for any information and details regarding your driving license. They keep all driving records on file. It is a good way to get information.
Following are some questions which you should ask New jersey MVC:
- It would help if you asked about the driving license suspension period. So, you can know how long you have to wait for restoration.
- You also ask about any outstanding surcharge of NJMVC. If there is any surcharge, then you have to clear them first. You can pay online as well as offline. For online payment, visit www.njsurcharge.com. This is the official website of the NJ surcharge.
- In some cases, NJ MVC feels that you are not capable of driving. So, they decide that you should join their MVC license restoration programs like the IDRC program or Defence driving course. These cases are sporadic. This is only for those people whose license is suspended for aggressive driving or drunk/drug and drive cases.
- In case your license is suspended for any violation of NJMC rules. So, ask NJ MVC for full details; you can also request them to send details on your address. They will charge only $15 for sending data at your address.
After knowing the reason for suspension and other details, then you need to do the following things:
- Wait to complete the suspension period.
- If the driving license is suspended for drink and drive. Then, you have to pay a drink driving fund fee.
- Pay all the New Jersey municipal court fees and fines, if there is any.
- You have to pay 100$ as restoration charges to NJ MVC.
- Complete the alcohol treatment program, if NJ MVC says to do.
- Pay monthly service charges for the next six months if applicable.
- Pay $1000 for a surcharge for the three consecutive years.
- You have to pay an ignition interlock device on a car, if applicable.
How to pay the NJ license restoration fee?
There is a specific driving license suspension period. So, if you want to reinstatement, you have to wait for the completion of the suspension period first. And you have to clear all your outstanding charges such as surcharges, traffic ticket fines, etc. You can pay traffic ticket fines online through the www.njmcdirect.com website. After that, you can apply for the restoration of your license. The reinstatement fee is 100$. You can apply online or offline. There are three ways to apply to restore a driving license. These are as follows:
Online Through N JMVC Official Website: You can apply and pay license restoration fees through NJMVC official online website. You will need the following details for the online payment:
- Social security number (SSN)
- Driving license number
- Debit card/credit card
Note: All details must be real, and your Area Zipcode should be the same as in your driving license record.
You can pay the restoration fee at your local MVC office by vising your nearby New Jersey motor vehicle commission office.
By mailing a check or money order: You also can submit a reinstatement fee through check or money order payable to the NJMVC. You have to send payment with documents (must include the bottom part of the suspension notice) on the following address:
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
PO. Box 140
Trenton, NJ 08650-0140
Note: If you do not have the bottom part of your suspension notice, send a check or money order payable to the NJMVC to the below address instead:
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
PO. Box 134
Trenton, NJ 08650-0134
If your license is suspended three times within three years, you can lose your driving license for three years. We hope after reading our article, you will be able to restore your driving license. If you have any queries about the suspension and restoration driving license, you can ask us through the comment.