Traffic rules and violation penalties are different states to states in the USA. So, every US states have their online portals, specific departments, so that people can quickly pay traffic tickets online. And they have any issue related to their tickets, and they can contact that department to resolve it. Like this, New York City has a specific court for its traffic tickets cases ‘Traffic Violations Bureau’. Here you can plead, pay your tickets, and also appeal for the not to be guilty and ask for a hearing for that.
- What to Do If Receive A Traffic Ticket in NY?
- Ways to Pay Your Ticket in New York
- Traffic Violations Bureau Office Locations
- FAQs – People Also Ask
- How do I pay a traffic ticket online in NY?
- Where do I pay a traffic ticket in NY?
- How do I find out if I have a ticket in NY?
- How long does it take for a traffic ticket to show up online NYC?
- Final Words
What to Do If Receive A Traffic Ticket in NY?
If you receive a traffic ticket you can do the following things:
- Plead ‘guilty’ to your traffic ticket and pay the fines, surcharges and other fees which is occurred due to that violation.
- If you feel that you are not innocent and you have evidence and proof also. Then, you should file a plead ‘not to be guilty’ in the NY municipal court. They will schedule a DMV Traffic Violations Bureaus (TVB) hearing in the court where the traffic violation ticket was issued.
- You should keep clean your driving records. Because your license can be suspended due to violations, so, pay all the outstanding fines, fees and surcharges.
- You can reschedule a ‘not guilty’ hearing only one time. Otherwise, you can lose the case, and fine also can increase.
Ways to Pay Your Ticket in New York
There are three ways to pay traffic tickets in New York. These are mentioned below in detail:
1. Online Traffic Ticket Payment
You can plead ‘guilty’ and pay your traffic ticket online through the DMV Traffic Violations Bureaus (TVB) portal. For this you will need the following things:
- TVB traffic ticket number
- DMV ID Number
- If you don’t remember your DMV ID number, then provide your full name, date of birth and gender as they appear on the traffic ticket.
Now, follow the below steps to pay tickets online:
- Visit the online portal of traffic ticket payment. Click here to go on the website if you don’t know.
- Go to the ‘Make a payment’ option.
- It will ask you to enter some details such as your DMV ID Number OR last name, middle initial, first name and other information to verify your identity.
- After filling all details, click on the continue button.
- Now enter the credit card/debit card details for the ticket payment.
- Then, click on the submit button.
- In a few minutes, you will get a confirmation mail of your traffic ticket payment.
2. By Mail or At TVB Office:
You can plead, pay your traffic tickets or apply for schedule hearing by mailing or visiting personally on TVB office location. Following is the mailing address of TVB office:
Traffic Violations Plea Unit
PO Box 2950-ESP
Albany, NY 12220-0950
Following things, you will be required:
- Your Traffic Ticket
- Credit Card/Check/Money Order
- Proof of an Equipment Violation Resolution – If traffic was issued due to vehicle’s any part damage like a headlight.
You can call the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles’ (DMV)Traffic Violations Bureau department for the payment of traffic ticket in NY. Following are the contact details of TVB:
Phone Number: (718) 488-5710
Business Hours: Monday – Friday: 8 AM – 4 PM
Traffic Violations Bureau Office Locations
New York city has special courts for the traffic tickets – Traffic Violations Bureau. There are 8 TVB offices in different cities. All the TVB offices open Monday to Friday except national holidays. Following are the business hour of Traffic violation bureau:
- Monday: 8:30 AM to 4 PM
- Tuesday: 8:30 AM to 4 PM
- Wednesday: 8:30 AM to 4 PM
- Thursday: 8:30 AM to 6 PM
- Friday: 8:30 AM to 4 PM
Following are the Eight TVB Offices Address where you can pay traffic tickets and plead not to be guilty:
696 East Fordham Road (between Cambreleng and Crotona Avenues)
30-56 Whitestone Expressway (between Downing Street and 31st Avenue), Flushing
168-35 Rockaway Boulevard, 2nd Floor (between 148th Avenue and 175th Street), Jamaica
1775 South Avenue, Suite 2 (between Industry Road and Spencer Street)
2875 West 8th Street (between Sheepshead Bay Road and Surf Avenue)
625 Atlantic Avenue, 2nd Floor (between Fort Greene Place and 6th Avenue)
159 East 125th Street, 3rd Floor (between Lexington and 3rd Avenues)
2 Washington Street, 5th Floor (by Battery Place)
Penalty Points for Speeding Violations
Like NJMCDirect, New York also follows traffic violations penalty points system. Whenever you violate any traffic rules, some points add on your driving license.
- If these points exceed 11 or you get three or more speeding tickets within 18 months, then your driving license can be suspended.
- If you acquire six or more than points within 18 points, then TVB can impose a fee on you. That’s called the Driver Responsibility Assessment fee.
Following are the points and violation details which you can get on a traffic violation in NYC:
|Over speeding between 1 to 10 mph||3|
|Over speeding between 11 to 20 mph||4|
|Over speeding between 21 to 30 mph||6|
|Over speeding between 31 to 40 mph||8|
|Over speeding over 40 mph||11|
|Improper use of cell phone, or texting||5|
|Disobeying the traffic signal, not stopping for a RED light, STOP sign or YIELD sign||3|
FAQs – People Also Ask
How do I pay a traffic ticket online in NY?
Online ticket paying is an easy, fast and secure way. You can save your lots of time through an online payment. Following is the step by step guide to pay a parking ticket online:
- First of all, visit the NYC311 portal. It is the official website of the city of New York.
- There will be an option “Make Payments”, click on that.
- Now click on the link “Parking Ticket or Camera Violation Payment.”
- Then, fill your ticket number/violation number or your license plate number, violation type, and the state in which your car is registered.
- After entering details, click on the continue button.
- Now fill your payment details and click on the submit button.
Where do I pay a traffic ticket in NY?
There are three ways to pay for the ticket. These areas following:
- By Mail
- At a TVB office
Online: Click here to pay TVB (Traffic Violations Bureaus) ticket online.
By Mail/office: You can send the cheque with documents and ticket details on their mailing address. Or you can visit their official address.
TVB Mailing Address:
Traffic Violations Plea Unit
PO Box 2950-ESP
Albany, NY 12220-0950
How do I find out if I have a ticket in NY?
There is an NYC government portal, where you can view the ticket and also find out you have a traffic/parking ticket or not. Follow the below steps to check traffic ticket in NY:
- Click here to visit the NYC govt traffic ticket portal.
- At the bottom of the website, there will be an option “Search by Plate Number”.
- It will ask you to enter some details such as your vehicle plate number, state, type, etc. Fill all the details.
- After that, click on the search button. It will show your traffic tickets if there is any.
How long does it take for a traffic ticket to show up online NYC?
If your ticket is computer-generated, so it will take up to five days to show up on NYC traffic violation portal. But in case your ticket is handwritten, so it will take 10 to 14 days to show up online.
We hope our guide will help you to pay for your traffic and parking tickets in NY. If you have any queries related to ticket payment in New York, let us know through comments. Or you can also call on TVB customer care phone number 1-718-488-5710.